Friday, October 12, 2012

Oh How I Miss...

How cute is this little guy? He makes it all worth it.
My big outing the other day was to go to CVS and pick up toilet paper. When I got home I sat in the car for 10 minutes, drank a soda and read a magazine. This was the most relaxing part of my day. How sad is that?!

Unfortunately Jake has acid reflux and won't take a bottle yet so I have to breast feed him every 2-3 hours which really limits what I can do. So it made me think about all the little things I took for granted pre-baby. Here is a small portion of a very long list:

- First and not so little... I'm missing one of my best friend's weddings this weekend. Wish I could be in Austin right now celebrating with the bride, Erin Dial, soon to be Peters!
- Long showers
- Wearing a regular bra
- The mall
- Monthly massage at Massage Envy
- Hair salon, I'm rockin' some major dark roots right now
- Sleeping in on the weekend, lets be honest, sleeping in general
- Cocktails & happy hour, I'm not usually a whiskey drinker but I'm dreaming of an Eastern Prospector from one of my favorite SD spots, Craft & Commerce. John befriended one of the bartenders and has mastered the recipe. See below.

Eastern Prospector cocktail recipe:


Ingredients for orange spice infused bourbon:
- 7-9 orange spice tea bags*
- rind of a full orange
- handle of a decent bourbon

* Orange spice tea is sometimes hard to find, so a few orange and a few spice tea bags works too.

Pour bourbon into a big pitcher. Soak tea bags and orange rind in bourbon for 2 hours. Stir every 15 minutes (I promise its worth it). Pour bourbon back into the bottle.

Ingredients for cocktail:
- 2 ounces orange spice tea infused bourbon
- 1 ounce fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 ounce simple syrup or agave nectar
- coupe dashes of bitters
- garnish with orange peel

In a shaker mix bourbon, lemon juice, syrup and bitters with lots of ice. Shake the crap out of it. Pour into glasses. Garnish with the orange peel. Send me a thank you card. 


4 comments:

  1. Do you have a recommendation for orange spice tea bags?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I've used this Mandarin Orange Spice tea before:
      http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/herbal-teas/mandarin-orange-spice

      But sometimes its hard to find so my husband usually uses half spice tea bags and half orange tea bags. We have these two in the house right now:

      Tangerine Orange Zinger
      http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/herbal-teas/tangerine-orange-zinger
      Bengal Spice
      http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/herbal-teas/bengal-spice

      Delete
  2. What kind of bourbon do you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We use this recipe every year for the holidays. Maker's Mark is our fav.

      Delete