Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Book Rec - Lean In

Sheryl Sandberg, the COO of Facebook, is everywhere right now talking about her book - Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead. She's in my People magazine on my flight home from Vancouver, on the cover of TIME magazine sitting at my in-laws house and saved on our DVR on the show 60 minutes. So I'm going to read it. All signs point to yes. To be honest, this usually isn't my type of book. I like easy beach reads and dorky young adult books but this quote from TIME magazine drew me in:

Stop Trying to Have It All
Having it all. Perhaps the greatest trap ever set for women was the coining of this phrase. No matter what any of us has - and how grateful we are for what we have - no one has it all....[article goes on to say] ... One of my favorite posters on the walls of Facebook declares in big red letters, DONE IS BETTER THAN PERFECT. I have tried to embrace this motto and let go of unattainable standards. My first six months at Facebook were really hard. A lot of my colleagues followed Mark Zuckerberg's lead and worked night-owl engineering hours. I worried that leaving too early would make me stand out like a sore - and old - thumb. I missed dinner after dinner with my kids. I realized that if I didn't take control of the situation, my new job would prove unsustainable. I started forcing myself to leave at 5:30. Every competitive, type-A fiber of my being was screaming at me to stay, but unless I had a critical meeting, I walked out that door. And once I did it, I learned I could.


Sounds interesting right? We'll see what this head honcho lady has to say... I probably won't agree with everything but I'm always trying to find ways to spend more time with my family, do a better job at work and hopefully find time to wash my hair more so I'll give you my two cents when I finish it. [Warning - I read like a snail]

No comments:

Post a Comment