Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Mothers & Sons




Over the last few weeks since I found out I was having a boy I've started to daydream about what it will be like to be his mom. I'm such a girly girl who loves fashion, musicals and the Bachelorette for goodness sake. How do I prepare myself for a little man who likes to wrestle, eat dirt and eventually pee standing up?!

As I've mentioned, my friend Laura and her son Jack have been so fun to watch and a great example but every child and every relationship is different so what will it be like for me?

Recently I came across this sweet blog post about 25 Rules for Mothers of Sons, below is an abbreviated version but definitely read the full post.

1. Teach him the words for how he feels.
2. Be a cheerleader for his life.
3. Teach him how to do laundry.
4. Read to him and read with him.
5. Encourage him to dance.
6. Make sure he has examples of good men who are powerful because of their brains, their determination, and their integrity.
7. Make sure he has examples of women who are beautiful because of their brains, their determination, and their integrity.
8. Be an example of a beautiful woman with brains, determination, and integrity.
9. Teach him to have manners.
10. Give him something to believe in.
11. Teach him that there are times when you need to be gentle.
12. Let him ruin his clothes.
13. Learn how to throw a football.
14. Go outside with him.
15. Let him lose.
16. Give him opportunities to help others.
17. Remind him that practice makes perfect.
18. Answer him when he asks, "Why?"
19. Always carry band-aids and wipes on you.
20. Let his dad teach him how to do things.
21. Give him something to release his energy.
22. Build him forts.
23. Take him to new places.
24. Kiss him.
25. Be home base.

No comments:

Post a Comment